Go Back   Pro-Clockers Forums > Hardware > Cases > Case Mods and Builds

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
WikoSiko
's Rig Specs

Default New Build and AIO Water Cooling or Full Water Cooling?

This is my new build. Will come in at $2500 AUD. All PC Parts are from msy.com.au.

Asus Sabertooth-Z77
8G Kit 2400 G.Skill Trident-X
Intel i7-3770K
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
3G 7950 MSI OC
Corsair H100
OCZ Vertex 4 256G
Corsair HX650
Asus VE248H 24” 2ms

I was looking at ditching the H100 as I don't like AIO water cooling solutions.
So I'm looking into setting up a loop to cool my CPU and GPU.

I've been looking around and cannot decide on what to pick, but here it is anyway:

Heatkiller Rev3.0 1155/1156 CPU Block Ni-BL
Heatkiller GPU-X 79X0 Water Block Ni-Bl
Heatkiller GPU GTX 79X0 Backplate
XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir and Pump Combo
XSPC AX240 Radiator Black
XSPC AX120 Radiator Black
PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing UV Blue 1/2ID 3/4OD 10ft(3m) Retail
EK Perfect Seal Compression Fitting 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD x6
Scythe 120mm SlipStream 1900rpm Fan x3 110 CFM
BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm Black Tinted Blue LED Fan 148 CFM
PrimoChill Liquid Utopia Clear Additive 15ml
Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary 45 Degree 1/2 Fitting x4

All water cooling parts are from pccasegear.com

Coming to a total of $800. I feel as if this build might be a bit overkill. Please leave your opinions.
Also I will have 4 fans on the Radiator two up top (200mm) and two on the bottom (120mm). Hopefully this is enough to cool the CPU and GPU.

Would the loop work like this:

I'm open to any and all opinions, I want to try and fit everything inside the Thermaltake Chaser MK-I, So I am going for the Pump/Reservoir Combo.

Last edited by WikoSiko; 11-25-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Changed the watercooling.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
najiro
najiro's Rig Specs

najiro is on a distinguished road

I agree with you in ditching the H100 and going for custom watercooling for the following reasons:

1) Based on what most moderators and reviewers that I asked advice for, custom watercooling give better cooling power. They say custom watercooling pumps are more powerful thus providing better cooling. You can also choose thicker radiators which will make it better.

2) Customization is easier and better. You can cut hoses to whatever length you like and choose what color you like assuming that options are available. Then an additional gpu waterblock or ram waterblock and other waterblocks is an open option, not available in AIO watercoolers.

3) Well, it obviously looks waaaaaaaay better. As a PC enthusiast, that's another plus.

najiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
najiro
najiro's Rig Specs

About the loop. I would suggest something like this

here are the following reasons why:

1) shorter loops are better. less surface area (inside the hoses) better flow for the fluid inside (yes liquids still create friction when touching surface of another substance). Shorter loops would also mean less hoses in length

2) Pumping water from the CPU straight to the GPU would be a bad idea. You're talking about an already-hot-water there pumped to another hot hardware that would need cooling. So it is better to have the hot water from the CPU get into a radiator first, cool it before pumping it inside the GPU.

3) gravity. If you let the fluid travel downwards toward the radiator at the bottom, it would take a relatively larger force to pull it back up to the pump+res compared to just having the fluid travel in a linear pathway (horizontal)

4) Dirt. Horizontally mounted rads would accumulate dirt faster compared to a vertically mounted one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 269658-thermaltake-chaser-mk-i-interior.jpg (48.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
WikoSiko
's Rig Specs

That is a much smarter set up, I was wondering how the water would get back up, and such but will it be able to cool it enough to be effective on the GPU, Or should another 240 radiator be mounted on the back of the PC?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
najiro
najiro's Rig Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikoSiko View Post
That is a much smarter set up, I was wondering how the water would get back up, and such but will it be able to cool it enough to be effective on the GPU, Or should another 240 radiator be mounted on the back of the PC?
hmmm so you'd be using 2 240 radiators. You would have to do an external mount for that. But a single 120 radiator would be enough for the gpu I believe. just get a thick one. like this one

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16...?tl=g30c95s159

160x124x80mm

that's seriously thick! LOL. there are other's that are less thick but are still thicker that usual. The width would mean larger coil surface area, better cooling in general