For our testing we will be using the following procedures and parameters to acquire the necessary data:
- Thermal compound used is Arctic Silver 5
- Idle temperatures are recorded after the system has been allowed to idle for thirty minutes from the point Windows has finished loading.
- Load temperatures are recorded by running OCCT for twenty minutes on all available threads.
- Real Temp is used for the recording of all temperature sensor reading.
- PWM function is disabled via BIOS to allow the fans to run at full speed.
- CPU model and overclock speed used for testing are outlined below in "Test Hardware".
- Each cooler is first tested with one fan supplied from the manufacturer.
- Each cooler is then tested again with a second fan attached if provided by the manufacturer.
Motherboard: ASUS X79 Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core i73960K @ 4.6GHz w/ 1.4 voltages
Ram: Crucial 2133 16GB Dual Channel (9-9-9-24)
Video Card: ASUS Radeon HD 5870
HDD: Hitachi 1TB
Power: Thermaltake Tough Power XT 850 (Sponsored by Thermaltake)
Case: Open air
Cooling: NZXT Havik 120